2009年7月17日金曜日

Do Japanese Use Internet in Proper Manner?

I have been a user of several internet services in Japan for many years, and I cannot feel comfortable for some reason. It really becomes clear when I use services developed outside Japan.


Generally speaking, people like what they call privacy, namely anonymity. By this anonymity, users can enjoy the freedom of what they say, irresponsibly.


The famous bulletin board "2 channel" is where people spit out rumors, jealousy, critics, crime, anything. Users are so brave and talkative while they enjoy being anonymous clouds.


In recent years, parents of school children are worried if their kids are bullied on web sites so-called "School Underground Bulletin Board". The purpose of these sites is to bully others without drawing school staff’s attention. In many cases, these sites are secured by password, and access is limited by cell phone. The name of the site does not include the school name, thus it is quite difficult to locate where they are. The ministry of education says there more than 38000 such sites as of March 2008.


Japan’s largest social networking service “Mixi” is de-fact standard for average Japanese young people. I have been using this service for few years. At first, it was astonishing that I hooked up with long-forgotten friends from high school.


But then again, almost all users are anonymous. Users use nickname and no actual photo. The way I hooked up with old friends are to register to certain community group, like a high school I went to. Then you see someone’s class year, and club he/she joined. Finally, I would ask, “Hey, you were in tennis club in 1983. I must know you.” It is a long process.


It is quite understandable that people are afraid of reveling one’s profile on internet, but many of them dare to do so.


I have a friend who posts many blogs. He is quite active writing stories and taking photo of his hobby, motorcycle. The funny part is that he uploads so many photos, but all photos were process to hide face of himself.


Yeah right, he doesn’t want to be identified. But I think his photo processing is too ugly, just like a stain or something. I do not know if he really has to upload photos if he makes photos that ugly.


Now looking at the world largest SNS, Facebook. As you know, majority of the users reveal themselves as they are. It was quite easy to meet with your old friends. I saw a case which one of my friends from college changed her first and last name. It was totally unfamiliar name to me, but I could see it was my old friend by looking at the photo and her friends on facebook.


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿